In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Ardrishaig like this:
"Ardrishaig (Gael. ard-driseach, ` height full of briars'), a seaport village in South Knapdale parish, and a quoad sacra parish partly also in Glassary parish, Argyllshire. The village stands on the W side of Loch Gilp, at the entrance of the Crinan Canal, 2 miles SSW of Lochgilphead.
The entrepôt of the canal, the port of Lochgilphead, and the centre of an extensive herring fishery, it mainly consists of plain-looking cottages with a few neat villas, pleasantly situated on a green hill-side; and it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, insurance, and telegraph departments, an excellent hotel, a commodious harbour, with a pier and a slip, an Established church (1860), and a Free church. The vessels passing through the Crinan Canal occasion considerable business, five steamers daily in summer arriving and departing from and to Greenock, the chief one of them running to Oban, Iona, and Inverness; large quantities of sheep and cattle are shipped; and during the fishing season, upwards of 100 fishing boats are in service. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert landed here 18 Aug. 1847, on their way from Inverary to Ardverikie. Pop. of village (1861) 902, (1871) 1177, (1881) 1209. The quoad sacra parish, constituted in 1875, is 7 miles long and 4 broad, and is in the presbytery of Inverary and synod of Argyll; its minister's income is £182."
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ardrishaig in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2017